There are a lot of kids who can honestly say that the Harry Potter series encouraged them to find their love of reading. But how many adults can say the same?
I am one of those adults. When I was growing up, reading was never a favorite pastime. I don't remember reading many books as a child. So when I was in my early 20's and was told how great the HP books were, I picked up a cheap copy of Book 1. It took me one evening to read it. I was in LOVE! And not just in love with HP, in love with reading.
| My first love! |
I began reading many books and discovered my love of Crime/Mystery novels. I love books that give me a good laugh, have a great twist, and a little fantasy.
Current favorites are The In Death series by J.D. Robb and The Stephenie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Other authors I enjoy are Dan Brown, Michael Connelly, Stephenie Meyer, Harlan Coban, and so many others!
I just heard the JK Rowling is releasing her new book this September. It's supposed to be more for adults and very different from the HP series. While I am glad she is trying something different and trying separate her image from HP, I hope she maintains some of the same characteristics in her writing style that I love.
One of the best things I enjoyed with HP was the detail. I loved how the story wound around with little tid-bits of information that proved useful later in the series, and ultimately got tied up neatly. (Yes there were plenty of loopholes, but in a fantasy-based story it would be pretty difficult to make everything perfect.)
Looking forward to reading "The Casual Vacancy" in September! Good Luck JK!
No comments:
Post a Comment